Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sky Blue Sky Response

Well, my original idea for this response was to listen to the album and give my first impressions, but since this will be the 4th or 5th time listening to it this week, I will be giving my "enough already" response. So let me hit the play button on the other page and begin.

Listening to this album is like hearing a Volkswagon commercial for an hour, since they licensed their songs out to them and are now played constantly. It's a very relaxing music that Wilco brings to the table, reminiscent to pop rock of the 70s and 80s. The second listen through of this Sky Blue Sky was when Tyler and I read our AP books and Becky did her response and we all came to the same conclusion that this music is comforting, and perfect for reading. It isn't overpowering, and the lyrics didn't have us distracted, making for terrific background noise. Because the lyrics have a running theme to them as well, there doesn't seem to be any distinctive breaks between each song either, which reminded me of how first few songs on Beck's Guero CD blended together perfectly. This lack of distinction lends to the feeling that Sky Blue Sky is just one big song.

This is not supposed to be a harsh criticism of of Wilco or their CD, I think they're good and appreciate them and everything they stand for, you might say. The singer sings lyrics that are heartfelt and for the most part straightforward. He doesn't rely too much on metaphors or wordplay, rather he writes how things really are. While they don't do anything groundbreaking with their music either, they do take what has been done before, the sound and feeling, and do it much better than most of their contemporaries.

I know this should be one of the bands that a person like me is supposed to listen to and enjoy, and while I do, it's only to an extent. This is too white bread for me, and while I do listen to this kind of music on occasion, I need to switch styles up frequently. I need some wheat and whole grain too. Perhaps because I was able to listen to this while reading is why I'm not crazy about this album or Wilco as a whole. I like an overpowering element in most of my music. The drum work, guitars, and imagery of Arctic Monkeys, the intensity of 50 Cent or T.I., the metaphorical wonders of Beck, or the emotion from Coldplay. I suppose because Wilco doesn't come at me with something unique in this album is why it's just good music to me, nothing special. Their music on this fits the commercials that feature their songs because the music isn't distracting to the viewer watching the action on screen, but it's of a quality that might stick in your head for the day. This being a good thing for Volkswagon CEOs wanting you to remember their product.

On a more positive note, Sky Blue Sky makes me feel like I'm in a coffee shop listening to a poet sing his work to the patrons. It creates an atmosphere that is, like mentioned before, relaxing and comforting. I can imagine being at Panera with a hot beverage, sitting in the corner with friends, and having Wilco playing a set right next to me. I guess that's all I get from listening to this, a relaxing comfort.

Oh, and need for a cappuccino.

1 comment:

Rory said...

well-written but be careful not to let others determine what you think is good. you're not "supposed" to like anything. you just do (or don't).

that said, glad you like it.